Emotionally Focused Therapy
Flatirons Counseling Services provides emotionally focused therapy (EFT) for couples experiencing various types of distress in their intimate relationship.
This approach may be extremely effective if you and your partner/spouse are seeking help to improve the emotional responses to each other. If you often argue about seemingly mundane things, emotionally focused therapy could help you uncover and express the underlying feelings behind your argumentative stance so that you can more deeply and accurately express your emotions.
How Can Flatirons Counseling Services Help with Emotionally Focused Therapy?
Flatirons Counseling Services uses the following stages and steps:
Stage One: Cycle Deescalation
- Step 1: Identify issues of concern.
- Step 2: Identify negative patterns of interaction that increase conflict when issues arise.
- Step 3: Flatirons Counseling Services helps identify unacknowledged fears and negative emotions affiliated with the attachment underlying the negative interaction patterns.
- Step 4: Flatirons Counseling Services then reframes issues for the couple in terms of negative patterns of interaction, underlying emotions and fears, and each partner’s attachment needs.
Stage Two: Changing Your Interaction
- Step 5: Partners are guided to voice both their attachment needs and emotions.
- Step 6: Partners are coached to express acceptance and compassion for a partner’s attachment needs and deep emotions.
- Step 7: Partners are coached in expressing attachment needs and emotions while also learning ways to express issues likely to cause conflict.
Stage Three: Consolidation and Integration
- Step 8: Flatirons Counseling Services helps the couple in the use of new communication styles to talk about old problems and develop new solutions.
- Step 9: The partners learn ways to utilize skills practiced outside of session and creates a plan to make new interaction patterns a consistent part of life after therapy.
To learn more about how Flatirons Counseling Services can help you with emotionally focused therapy, contact us for a complimentary initial consultation.