Flatirons Counseling Services provides counseling and therapy for families of children and teens who may be engaging in self-harm.
Self-harm often involved cutting, burning, or ingesting toxic substances for the purposes of relieving emotional pain or distress. Rather than turn to healthy outlets to express this pain, self-harm becomes the therapy of choice.
Many children struggle with extreme demands at school, home, and in general. Our media-entrenched world also often shapes unattainable goals for both girls and boys. This constant bombardment of toxic messaging can lead to self-harming behavior.
Should I Seek Adolescent Self-Harm Counseling or Therapy for my Child or Teen?
If you discover any of the following with your child or teen, you should seek help from Flatirons Counseling Services:
- Cut or burn marks on their body
- Knives, sharp blades, or razors hidden in the child’s belongings or room
- Regularly locking themselves in their room following negative situations
- A doctor or teacher notifies you after an observation of a burn/cut mark or discovery of patches of missing hair
- Your child’s friends commit self-harm
- Another child of yours reports witnessing your child in the act of self-harm
How Can Flatirons Counseling Services Help with Adolescent Self-Harm Counseling?
Flatirons Counseling Services can help provide adolescent self-harm counseling and therapy in a nurturing, understanding, and discrete atmosphere. Through family therapy, we will help you and your child improve family communication, develop skills for better conflict-resolution, and contribute toward a more meaningful relationship between you and your child.
These skills will lead toward better management of unhealthy thinking, mediation skills, and other healthy activities that will help your child more effectively manage stress in a non-harmful way.
To learn more about how Flatirons Counseling Services can help you with adolescent self-harm therapy and counseling, contact us for a complimentary initial consultation.